On August 27th, Pope Francis will hold a consistory for the creation of new cardinals.
Watch the event LIVE on Salt + Light TV!
Saturday, August 27, 2022
at 10 am ET / 7 am PT.
WHAT IS A CONSISTORY?
A consistory is an official meeting of all or some of the cardinals, called by the pope. The cardinals, as a group, act as advisers to the pope, and the Holy Father may sometimes call them together to consult on major issues facing the Church. Also, in order to create new cardinals, the pope must issue a public decree in the presence of the other cardinals. This will be Pope Francis' ninth consistory for the creation of new cardinals.
WHAT WILL HAPPEN DURING THE EVENT?
Pope Francis, the cardinals, and the cardinals-designate will gather in St. Peter's Basilica for the ceremony. After words of greeting, a prayer, a reading from one of the Gospels, and Pope Francis' homily, the Holy Father will proclaim the names of the new cardinals. It is from this moment that they actually become cardinals. The new cardinals then make a Profession of Faith and take an oath of fidelity to the Church and to the pope. They will then kneel before the pope one at a time to receive from his hands the cardinal's biretta (red hat) and cardinal's ring, and they will also be assigned a church in Rome, which is known as their "title" or "deaconry", representing their role in assisting the pope, who is the chief pastor of the city of Rome. After the cardinals exchange the sign of peace with the pope and each other, the ceremony ends with the Lord's Prayer.
WHO ARE THE NEW CARDINALS?
- Archbishop Arthur Roche, prefect of the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Sacraments
- Archbishop Lazarus You Heung-sik, prefect of the Congregation for Clergy
- Archbishop Fernando Vérgez Alzaga, president of the Pontifical Commission for Vatican City State and president of the Governorate of Vatican City State
- Archbishop Jean-Marc Aveline of Marseille, France
- Bishop Peter Ebere Okpaleke of Ekwulobia, Nigeria
- Archbishop Leonardo Ulrich Steiner of Manaus, Brazil
- Archbishop Filipe Neri António Sebastião do Rosário Ferrão of Goa, India
- Bishop Robert Walter McElroy of San Diego
- Archbishop Virgílio do Carmo da Silva of Dili, Timor-Leste
- Bishop Oscar Cantoni of Como, Italy
- Archbishop Anthony Poola of Hyderabad, India
- Archbishop Paulo Cezar Costa of Brasília, Brazil
- Bishop Richard Kuuia Baawobr of Wa, Ghana
- Archbishop William Goh Seng Chye of Singapore
- Archbishop Adalberto Martínez Flores of Asunción, Paraguay
- Bishop Giorgio Marengo, apostolic prefect of Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
- Retired Archbishop Jorge Jiménez Carvajal of Cartagena, Colombia
- Retired Archbishop Arrigo Miglio of Cagliari, Italy
- Jesuit Father Gianfranco Ghirlanda, professor of canon law
- Msgr. Fortunato Frezza, canon of St. Peter's Basilica